Sunday 3 January 2010

Xmas Task #5

Essay Plan

Introduction


"An investigation into the negative representations of black people in advertising media. What are the contexts that seem to reinforce these stereotypes?".

In my introduction, I will briefly explain my critical investigation and explain why I have chosen to talk about this topic. In addition I will explain my study I will be focusing on and the historical text I will be analysing too. I will talk about why I have chosen to explore this topic and then explore the representations over a history of time within my investigation.



1st Paragraph

In my first paragraph I will talk about the stereotypes and representations of black people within the advertising media. Sociologist Stuart Hall looks at gender and ethnicity and also relates to Marxism in today’s society. I will then Talk about Stuart Halls findings and give examples from different type of texts. In addition Liberalism can be linked with Stuart Hall as I will be referring this to the importance of individual freedom. Moreover the typical stereotypes of black people will be introduced.


2nd Paragraph

In this paragraph, I will be focusing on my historical text. I chose to focus on this text first as it will be easier for me to compare the both texts. Moreover I will be talking about the historical times that effected black people such as the slave trade, nevertheless I wont just be focusing on the negative points I will also be focusing on all the positive points such as Obama becoming of President, Usain Bolt being fastest s100m sprinter and linking this to them being successful role models in today’s society. When talking about the negative past experiences such as the slave trade I will analyse this as a result of the negative representations in today’s advertisements.

3rd Paragraph

In my 3rd paragraph I will compare both my current and historical text. I will talk about how the stereotypes and representations are changing or if they are the same, I will talk about the media and moral panics in which why these stereotypes are this way. In addition I will talk about issues and debates which have led to these positive and negative stereotypes. Moreover I can link this back to hegemony and the social reaction theory. With each ad I will talk about the Mise en Scene and Shep and compare. To sum up the paragraph I will talk about the similarities and differences between both of the texts, and then expand on each point.

4th Paragraph

In this paragraph I will talk about moral panics in dept more, and talk about what is the final stereotype of black people in today’s society. I will explore “what are the contexts that seem to reinforce these stereotypes”. I will sum up all the arguments and explanations of black peoples representations in today’s society. This will be done by me using different quotes and texts and looking at a range of different media platforms.

Conclusion

To conclude my essay I will have finally been able to investigate why there are many negative representations of black people in the advertising media, and what are the contexts that seem to reinforce these stereotypes.

No comments:

Post a Comment